Friday, September 29, 2006

DISCUS Is for Learners



The first time I encountered DISCUS, like the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer and his fax machine, I was absolutely mystified by it. I was subbing in reference. It was my first time working in a library since high school. I thought that maybe DISCUS was a cd-rom; something like a super Encarta that was locked inside the database computers. I later learned that the on the lock on the cd-rom drive was there to keep patrons from using it. I didn't know that. I thought the lock was to keep them from stealing the super deluxe cd-rom that was locked inside the drive.

Eventually I learned that DISCUS was an online database and not a piece of software. I was very intimidated by it. I thought it looked really complicated and I didn't think I would ever be able to master it. I would quickly step aside and let a "real" librarian help patrons with the databases.

Gradually I began to learn how to use the databases. At first it was just to help patrons find biographies on the Gale biography database. Then I began to use the databases to find literary criticism because I discovered that the databases were easier to navigate than the cumulative indexes of Magill's and didn't require lugging massive tomes to and from the Reference section. I discovered that if you could put a middle or high school student on the database computers, they would get what they needed with minimal guidance.

Then I went to library school.

DISCUS and the world of databases took on a whole new meaning for me. Online databases allowed me to do research in my nightgown at midnight. They provide access to a library that never closes unless the database host site goes down. When that happened, I found I could just switch to another host site. If the college site was slow, there was the public library site, if that didn't work, there was the State Library site.

I fell in love.

I discovered the wonder of Infotrac Onefile, with its Infomarks and PURLs (Persistent Uniform Resource Locators). I could e-mail article PURLs to myself and look at them or print them up later or just save lists of articles I looked at so that I could go back and use them and cite them as references. It made the research process for my school assignments infinitely easier.

I began to use DISCUS for my personal information needs.

I started to regularly use Infotrac as part of my personal information search strategy, which generally starts with Google. I began to look for health information on DISCUS. With the help of DISCUS, I self-diagosed my reflux problem as being exacerbated or possibly caused by my regular use of Ibuprofen. I quit taking Ibuprofen and lo and behold, my reflux practically disappeared and I was able to stop taking daily medication for it. I had told my doctor that I was taking Ibuprofen but perhaps I didn't make it clear that it was my primary choice for over the counter pain relief and how frequently I took it. It is sometimes hard to convey really complete information about one's health issues to medical practioners in the brief time that is alloted per patient. The health information I find on DISCUS helps me to better understand my own health issues, to more accurately describe them to my doctor, and to be better informed about treatment options and strategies for managing my own health care.

I can't say that DISCUS has made me a better person, just a better informed one. I now enjoying sharing the benefits of using DISCUS with my family, friends, and patrons. I personally think that DISCUS is one of the best things the state of South Carolina offers to its citizens. Access to quality information is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP